Church Sign

Church Sign

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

How Can We Do It?

Yesterday's blog challenged us with some very difficult things. We were challenged to love those who have betrayed us, hurt us, gossiped about us, and so forth. We were challenged that those people deserve our love, because they have God's love, and because Jesus died for them. We are called to love like Jesus loved, and therefore, we are called to love them as well.

But as I thought about this, the obvious question that came to my mind was, "How? How can I love those who hurt me, my family, or my kids?" Today I want to explore that just a little bit.

It is my contention that the only way we can truly love those who have hurt us in such a way is because of the love that we have been shown. Jesus, in Luke 7:36-50, tells the story of two men. One owed his master the equivalent of $60,000, the other owed him $6,000. The master canceled the debt of both of them. Then Jesus asks this question, "Which of these two men loved their master more?"

This is poignant question because it gets to the heart of the matter. It speaks to the fact that our love for God is based on the love that He has already shown to us. 1 John 4:19 speaks to this when John says, “We love because he (Jesus) first loved us.” We are able to love those who hurt us, betray us or whatever, because of the love we have already received from Jesus.

Chris Tomlin sings a song that talks about God being a “Good, Good Father.” This song demonstrates the love that God has for us in that He is a Father who looks after His children. He loves us so much that nothing stood in the way of Him getting to have a relationship with us. He loves you and He loves me. This love is the springboard from which our love for the people around us swells…no matter what.

It is my hope that you can love the way Jesus loved because of the love that you’ve been shown.


God bless, and we’ll see you on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment