Church Sign

Church Sign

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Danger, Will Robinson (or Anyone Else)


There is a new movie out that is based on a book that many of you may have read, called The Shack. Now my point is not to tell you whether or not you should go watch this movie, but I believe that as a pastor, and as someone who takes that responsibility seriously, I need to warn you of a few things regarding it.


First of all, this book/movie has been touted a Christian movie that helps people understand and relate to God. It is also a narrative that is said by the author to discuss “the nature of the character of God.”

Two resources I want you to read and listen to. First is today’s episode of Equipped with Chris Brooks, from Moody Radio. This episode, I think, is an honest and critical look at some of the claims of this book/movie and how we as Christians should respond.


The second resource is an article by Albert Mohler. Dr. Mohler is president of Southern Theological Seminary, a part of the Southern Baptist Convention, and has some more academic arguments against this movie/book. Please take the time to read that here.

The bottom line is this; we as Christians need to be vigilant about the things we allow ourselves to read, watch and listen to. We need to think critically about the things of this world, because error and even heresy try to disguise themselves in “sheep’s clothing” as Jesus told us in Matthew 7:15. So I offer these resources as a chance for you to think and to make wise choices regarding these things.

Please know that I’ll love you no matter what you choose to do, but I wouldn’t be the pastor God wants me to be if I didn’t warn you.


Think about that today! And God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment