Church Sign

Church Sign

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

They Will Know…


The other day, a young lady had called into a radio program that was discussing the pros and cons of Christian business owners serving certain segments of the population, namely the homosexual community. In her opinion, the Christian business owner should be able to service the need of people within the homosexual community based solely on the words of Christ from John 13:35, where He says, “By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Now, before I make my comments, I want to say that I agree with her on the point of Christian business people serving the needs of those within the homosexual community. For example, if I have a restaurant, I wouldn’t decline service to a homosexual, but I would serve them and try to make their dining experience the best that it could possibly be. I serve them, even though I don’t agree with their lifestyle. In context, what Jesus is saying to the disciples here is that they need to be servants to one another, because at the very beginning of the chapter, He has shown them just how to serve…by washing their feet.

Now I know that some of you are going to say, “How can you think that way?” Because I believe that we, as a Christian community, often speak loud and proud about what we disagree with instead of demonstrating our love to people. If we were to really love the homosexual, would they not see Jesus in us?

But here is where I disagree with this woman’s use of this particular verse in her argument. Jesus is not saying that the world will know we are Christians when we love homosexuals…not at all. He is saying that they will know we are Christians when we truly love EACH OTHER. That means, the world will see a difference in us because we are in unity, and our love for each other is demonstrated in how we serve each other. So remember that our love for the world around us isn’t the thing that will define us…the world loves the world. The defining attribute of love for the Christian is that love we show to each other.

What do you think? Leave a comment and tell me your understanding of the issue. We love to hear what you have to say!


Think about that today, and God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment