Church Sign

Church Sign

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

7 Days on Discipleship—Part 1


I was cruising the internet the other day when I found a link to a video that talked about the seven habits of effective disciple makers. Some of what they said I agreed with…some of it I didn’t. But the fact of the matter is that we are all called to be disciple makers. The call comes to each of us as we read the command of Jesus in Matthew 28:18-20, where He says the following:


“I have been given complete authority in heaven and on earth (i.e., there is nothing that is beyond my authority). Therefore (i.e., because of this), go and (i.e., as you are going throughout the world) make disciples of all the nation (i.e., anyone and everyone you meet), baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit (i.e., immerse them in who God is). Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you (i.e., once they come to Christ, teach them what you know). And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age (i.e., He’s going to be with us with all of the authority of heaven and earth at our disposal).”
–Matthew 28:18-20 with obvious emphases added by the author.

So, as we look at what Jesus is saying here, what are some things that disciples must do? According to the video I watched, there are seven things. They include making Jesus central in everything, sharing faith in culturally relevant ways, making discipleship a natural part of their lives, using simple patterns and practices, being hospitable, and being empowered by the Holy Spirit. These six ideas I agreed with wholeheartedly. However, the seventh one (which was actually the second one) I had issue with. They said that there was a “strategy” that God uses to identify disciples. Now, I’m all for not wasting time with people who are just not interested in going deeper in their faith, and I think that’s what these guys were meaning when they used the word “disciple”. However, if discipleship is a process (and it is), then there is a process by which one becomes a disciple. If that’s true, then there is a sense in which all people are being discipled, and every relationship we have (with both believers and the unsaved) is a discipling relationship.

Let me put it another way. If I want to make a table, I don’t start with a table, and then make the table more of a table. No. I take the pieces that go into a table, fashion and design those pieces and then put the table together. The same is true with disciples. We don’t find disciples and then make them disciples. If they’re disciples when we find them, they are disciples. We were called to “make disciples!” So we find the pieces (individuals who are newly saved, or even unsaved) and from those pieces through the power of the Holy Spirit, craft a disciple.

So, are you making disciples? Or are you just hoping that someone else will do it? If we are going to be disciple makers, we need to learn the process…and that’s what we will be talking over the next several days.


Think about that today! And God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment