Church Sign

Church Sign

Friday, July 22, 2016

Good For the Soul

One of the things that I think we have lost a great deal of in our national religious consciousness is the idea of confession. This is one area that I think our Catholic friends might have it on us (not that I believe that any man has the power to forgive sins). Though there is something about sharing your sin with another human being that is not only cathartic, but healing in both the soul and the body.

David said it best in the 32nd Psalm. Take a moment and read it, then come back and let's finish this post together.

So David says that the one who is forgiven is blessed, or happy. When you've screwed up, you know you need someone to forgive you. And when you receive that forgiveness there is a weight that just lifts off of your shoulders, isn't there?

At the end of verse 2, David talks about the one in whose spirit there is no deceit. What does that mean? It means that there is happiness when one isn't so concerned about "keeping a lid" on the sin that is in their lives. When we are bold enough to say, "This is my sin, and this is what I deal with," we allow ourselves to be vulnerable and we can be hurt. It's dangerous to confess our sins. But look at the next verse. Keeping quiet about sin, or making everyone think that we have no sin is the best way to loose our grip on reality. Look at the words David uses here: "my bones wasted away", "my groaning all day long", "your hand was heavy on me", "my strength was sapped" (emphases added). These are words that describe both physical and emotional draining...emptiness.

But in verse 5, David says, "Then I acknowledged my sin." He confessed that his sin was real, that it was he'd done what he had done and didn't try to "keep the lid" on it anymore. And what happened? He was forgiven! Not only that, but he found that his life was now not only rejuvenated, but also protected! He was protected by his "Hiding Place," God Himself!

Finally, in verses 8-10, David talks to you and I. He says (and I paraphrase here), "Don't be an idiot. Don't be a donkey (or whatever other word you may want to use)! Don't be one who lacks understanding! Don't be a loser who can't understand right from wrong! Don't kick back at God and keep on telling Him 'NO!' Be one who listens to wise instruction. Be one who is surrounded by God's unfailing love! And you will have reason to rejoice!"

My brothers and sisters, confession is, indeed, good for the soul, but it is also good for the body. And when we confess and repent of our sins, God is all about forgiving us...and not only that, but keeping us, too!

Feel free to leave a comment below, and we'll see you on Sunday!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment