Church Sign

Church Sign

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Hypocrites

This week is our final week in James chapter 1. We will be looking at the final two verses of this chapter, so to get a head start feel free to read over this section several times before Sunday. If you want to read it in several different versions of Scripture, then click here. We will mostly be talking on Sunday about our tongue and how we can learn to tame it, and why.

But today, I want us to focus on something else this passage has to say. This passage tells us that if we fail to control what comes out of our mouths, it will be our undoing. Now I know we live in a society where the 3 second sound bite is all the rage. We take things out of context and "spin" it to fit our own agenda. And as such, many in the public eye are careful about what they say. But the truth of the matter is that our words will do one of two things. They will either prove that what we have to say is true, or they will prove us to be hypocrites.

Hypocrisy is one of the biggest reasons people use to stay away from the church. They say the church is full of them, and if that's the case, why should they be a part of it. My usual reaction to this comment is, "Yep! I agree." Usually I get a sideways glance, but then I get to tell them why I agree with them.

Generally it is because all of us have an issue in this area. We all say one thing, when what is true is something totally different. Even those of us who claim to be totally honest will fib about something to keep feelings from being hurt or from getting ourselves into trouble. We do it without thinking about it because it is a part of how we are built...with a natural bent to sin.

So, in essence, we are all hypocrites. We all say one thing and then do another. We are sinners...plain and simple. So if you call me a hypocrite, I'm not going to argue with you. But I will encourage you to admit your own hypocrisy. And when you do, then perhaps we can start having conversations that will lead us toward the holiness that God wants for us as believers.

I don't know...it's just something I thought about today.

Comment below and we will see you on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment