Church Sign

Church Sign

Monday, July 11, 2016

Habitual Readers...UNITE!!!!

I hope that the title of today's blog post might have stirred in you a desire to read this post. If that is why you are reading this, then great! It worked! If you are reading this because you always read this, then I'm glad of that too. But the point of the post today is simply to remind you to read.

Reading is important. In fact, when I was a kid, there were Public Service Announcements (PSAs) on the Saturday morning cartoon circuit that encouraged kids to read. The group was called "RIF" and it stood for Reading Is Fundamental. One of the most memorable of these commercials was a group of kids hanging around a guy who played a newspaper editor on TV. He was talking about how reading was important if kids were going to learn. Then one of the kids spouted off some statistics (I can't recall those right now), and this man looks the kid straight in the eye and says, "Hey! You're pretty smart! How'd you get so smart?" And the kid leans in and says, "READING!"

I really have no idea why that made such an impression on me, but it did. You would think that having that kind of an impression put on my as a kid, I would have been more into reading. The fact of the matter is that I don't read as much as I should. It takes me a long time to read a book, because when I read I want to understand. So to fly through a book for me is counter intuitive.

But there is one book that I read often. It is a book that has been around for longer than any other book I own. It is a book that holds that secrets to life's mysteries and the answers to life's questions. It is a book that is capable of changing a man or woman to be better than they are, and it is also capable of bringing peace in the midst of some pretty dark times.

We are facing some dark times as a society today. We face killings and mass shootings and it is hard for us to think that things will ever change. But we can't look to the government to fix this. We can't look to politics to fix it. We can't look at race relations to fix this. We can't look at superheroes to fix it. We can't look to anyone to fix this, except the Author of this book.

Of course, that book is the Bible, and when we read the Bible, we are faced with the truth. We are faced with absolute moral truth that cannot be denied. But many in our society have tried to deny moral absolutes. Because of this, we are seeing what we saw last week, and we will continue to see it...more and more each passing day.

Friends, read the Scriptures. Don't let this be a habit that you allow yourself to break. Keep reading, but also do what it says (but more on that tomorrow!). ;-)

Please feel free to comment or ask a question below. We will respond to all comments!

And we'll see you on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment